Every year, I scale back on my number of jalapeño, tomato and zucchini plants. Because, like clockwork, I always have more than I can deal with. This year is no different. So, I wanted to try something remarkably different using the zucchini. You guessed it: the secret ingredient here is actually zucchini!
This is a fluffy, almost cake-like recipe combined using a few recipes. If you have a serious sweet tooth, you could create a glaze using powdered sugar and lemon juice. But, this guy is perfect by itself too!
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 3.4 oz package of instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- Lemon zest from 2 lemons (approximately 2 Tbsp)
- 1 large shredded zucchini (approximately 2 cups)
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray two large loaf pans, line with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Prepare your shredded zucchini. I skinned mine, and then used a food processor to shred it. you can also use a grater. Afterward, I did not rinse any moisture out, but if you like a drier loaf, you can squeeze any excess moisture out using a clean kitchen towel.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, incorporate and whisk the eggs, milk, oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Gently add the wet ingredients into the dry mix. I did this in two increments. Pour half the bowl, and then slowly add in while mixing.
- Once everything has been incorporated, add in the zucchini and poppy seeds. Mix for 1 minute until everything is incorporated.
- Pour the mix into your pans. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- If you have a sweet tooth, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Lightly drizzle the glaze onto the loaves after they have cooled (about 15 minutes).